1. Malaysia has a rolling monarchy system whereby nine ethnic Malay state rulers take turns as King, each for a term of 5 years.
2. Malaysia is made up of two landmasses separated by the South China Sea, Malaysian Borneo and the Malaysian Peninsula.
3. Malaysia has its own unique big cat, the Malayan Tiger
4. Nasi lemak is Malaysia’s national dish. The dish comprises of fragrant rice cooked with coconut milk, served with peanuts, egg, cucumber and spicy chilli paste. This is usually served in a banana leaf.
5. On the Borneo landmass side of Malaysia a native Malay needs a passport to travel between the two states of Sabah and Sarawak.
6. Malaysia has 878 islands.
7. Famous shoe designer Jimmy Choo was born in the Malaysian state of Penang.
8. In 2020 Malaysia’s population was 32,365,998
9. Alongside western sports such as football and badminton Malaysia’s main national sport is considered to be Sepak Takraw. Sepak Takraw is a kind of kick volleyball, played with a plastic ball between two teams with between 2 and 4 players. So badminton, football and volleyball mixed together.
10. There are around 55,000 Bornean Orangutans in Borneo and the Indonesian side of the border.