Located on China’s southern coast, Hong Kong is one of my favourite places in this part of the world. It has it all nature, skyscrapers, culture and great food.
10 FACTS ABOUT HONG KONG
- In Chinese Hong Kong means ‘fragrant habour’.
2. Hong Kong has had one taste of Olympic gold glory back in 1996, when Lee Lai-Shan won gold at the windsurfing event.
3. If you go into an apartment building elevator you probably won’t see a 4th floor. That’s because in Chinese 4 sounds like the word death, so it is considered unlucky.
4. Hong Kong has the most skyscraper in the world, a total of 355 skyscrapers.
5. Hong Kong has more than 250 islands, many of which are uninhabited.
6. More than 7.5 million people live in Hong Kong, making it one of the most densely populated areas in the world.
7. Around 28% of people in Hong Kong are Taoist or Buddhist.
8. After Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong is one of the biggest financial centres in the world.
9. The Hong Kong Peak Tram was the first rail tram in Asia in 1888.
10. Despite the densely populated city, Hong Kong is about 75% rural.